Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Treatment Day 1

So I had my first treatment today and I have to say it wasn't as bad as I had built it up to be in my mind.  I was there for over an hour, because they had to do all the setup today.  The Techs made sure that I was positioned correctly and they were radiating the area that needed it.  My Doctor came in briefly to give his approval, other than that I didn't see him today.

I have to say the worst part of the process was the waiting area.  When I went the first time I was in the main waiting room and didn't realize that there were two waiting rooms.  Needless to say I was put in the second waiting area today.  The thing that freaked me out about this was that this is where everyone who is going through treatment sits.  So I got to see people who are in the middle of the process and how their bodies were reacting.  I by the way was the youngest person in the waiting room.

As far as the treatment, I really didn't feel anything at all.  I am on a table in a big room by myself with my mask on.  I think I will take a camera one day and have them take a photo if they allow it so you can see what it looks like.  When the treatment starts there is a very loud buzz/hum and it only last about 30 seconds.  Then they reposition the machine and repeat the process on the other side.

I was tried today and ended up coming home an taking about a 3 hour nap.  Then I have had a splitting headache all day, but that started before I went in.  I think the headache is just from the stress of the situation.   My other lovely stress side effect is my psoriasis has come back on pretty strong and I really can't take my Humira shot while I am going through radiation.

I will post again later in the week...

1 comment:

Julie Schleeter Goad said...

I am so sorry that you are going through this. Sorry I didn't talk long today, I just didn't know what to say and I didn't want to start crying. I know it has been a long while since we have talked, but I have always thought of you and cared about you. I wish you the best. I really want to come hang out with you and Debra. Miss you so much and hope all goes well this week.

Julie